Sunday, July 13, 2014

A Gray Day

One of the many reasons I'm glad I live near the coast:  marine layers.

Not only are overcast days a welcome respite from summer heat waves for us, they're the same for wildlife, becoming the equivalent of long crepuscular periods. Birds will be busy, and mammals that are typically active during nocturnal and dawn hours can sometimes be seen out and about.

Such as this gray fox one of my cam traps recently caught in coastal chaparral at 8:30 am.

Grays are a species I get frequently on cams throughout California, but rarely in daylight. I mean, really rarely - a handful of times.

gray fox

So, catching one in a diorama-esque pose, in the soft, even light of an overcast morning, is pretty much picture perfect in my book. A "crush" as they say in the birdosphere.

Thank you foxy.

And thank you San Francisco summers.

Huh - their eyes don't shine like laser beams in the daytime. Whaddya know? :)

====
References:
==========

2 comments:

  1. Ah, lovely. Such beautiful animals. I envy your marine layer--CRAZY hot, here, but mostly I just feel for the wildlife. Yikes. Think I'll be putting out the big dog dish of water for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm repeating myself, but I love these clear images from your traps.

    Saturday on Mt. Tam a bobcat passed by about 20 feet in front of me in the late morning, and I almost didn't see him because of thick fog and tall grass. He was cruising the forest edge but ducked into the woods when he saw me see him. He drew a few bird alarms that quickly died away. Tried to pick him up farther down the line, but no dice. I can't image he'd have been out if not for the fog. Pretty hot for anyone with a fur coat when the sun's out.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, thought or question at any time.