Sunday, September 22, 2013

Birding In Absentia

Remember last year's experiment with the portable bird perch?

Well, I had the opportunity to try it a couple more times during this summer's visits to the Mono Basin survey site.

But instead of the trusty 6 megapixel Sony s600, I kicked up the quality, and tested a new trap in my kit that uses a 16 megapixel Sony HC70.

And while the short 2-day sets didn't allow much time for birds to find the perch, those few that did took to it quite readily and happily.

The first time out, a Sage Thrasher was the only bird to find it. But the thrasher enjoyed the preening post, both before and after bathing in the pond.

sage thrasher

sage thrasher

Neat bird with great character, the Sage Thrasher. But it reminds me more of its Mimidae cousin the Northern Mockingbird over a full-beaked thrasher, such as California or Le Conte's.

sage thrasher

I think Sibley calls this plumage out as a "very worn adult."

I know how that feels some times, my thrasher friend.

sage thrasher

This past week I was able to get to Mono and put the rig out again for a couple of days.

And 2 more species joined the show.

A Say's Phoebe spotted the new fixture right away, and set up shop exterminating insects.

say's phoebe

say's phoebe

say's phoebe

say's phoebe

Say's, while common, are also a California character I adore. A bold bird with a big personality.

say's phoebe

The last bird to use the post was a lazy Mourning Dove that dropped in for an 11am nap. Must have been a tough mourning. ;)

mourning dove

mourning dove

mourning dove

But while going through all the photos, I found that sometimes animals in the background also triggered the camera trap.

Such as jackrabbits.

jackrabbit

jackrabbit

Which caused me to look again at all the "misses" showing nothing on the post or branch.

Allowing me to catch this fun pair of pics. The first I'd have never noticed if I hadn't spotted the second. Which, while far away, clearly shows an Osprey taking a trout off the pond. And thus the first shows the bird in the water on the fish. Its dive and splash triggered the cam.

osprey with trout

osprey with trout

Tooooo cool. Sure hope ole Osprey lands on my portable perch one of these days.

====
References:
==========

10 comments:

  1. Very good-looking images. I just got my first trail cam (Moultrie M-880) and the images are nowhere near this nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. And thus why we hack our own cameras. While the "trail camera" tech has been getting better rapidly, it was designed for deer hunters, and they are still the lion's share of the market. So, the standard for trail cams has been to just use pin hole cameras, set at infinity, and w/o any focusing. Because all that mattered were deer at 20 feet. Long story short, your camera will probably rapidly lose focus for any subjects closer than 12 feet. And, it'll be really sensitive to blow out from dapples or shadow edges and like. But get to know it, and you can pick areas and sets where it'll get you fine photos. Here's one of my photos that I point to as an example of this - it was taken with an old Moultrie in 2009, and is a pretty solid shot.

      Delete
  2. Cool pics. I wonder if the osprey is one of the ones that Mom, Morgan, Jacqui and I got pictures of building a nest on a tufa in Mono Lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is possible. They come over from Mono Lake and June Lake to hunt.

      Delete
  3. The white edging on the feathers of the Mourning Dove suggests that it is a young of this year. It probably fledged a short time ago. Great pics. Especially the Sage Thrasher. I haven't seen one in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... "young of this year" - sounds appropriate. Thanks for the excellent detail, and congrats again on yours! :)

      Delete
  4. What a great contraption you've made. And 100% agreed re: thrasher & mocking bird. Incidentally, I would expect, based on the name alone, that many thrashers have worn plumage. They're THRASHERS, after all. Not birds to take a back seat or stay at home & preen.

    Say's phoebes are one of those birds that in photos look like normal birds, but in person, they are SO BEAUTIFUL.

    Delightful surprise pics. Glad you found 'em.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BB. I really like Say's. They're a sweetheart bird with great personality that will hang out with you. At the ranch house, there's always one hunting off the porch railings and sleeping on the porch lights. Like having a pet.

      Delete

Please leave a comment, thought or question at any time.